Public Affairs Director
Washington DC (Hybrid)
AEM (Association of Equipment Manufacturers) is hiring a Public Affairs Director to join our dedicated team of advocacy professionals based in Washington DC. This individual will manage all advocacy-focused communications with news media, policymakers, industry stakeholders, coalitions, and member companies.
- Work closely with the AEM Advocacy Team to develop and implement a comprehensive public affairs strategy in support of the association’s state, federal, and grassroots advocacy efforts.
- Tell the industry’s story to internal and external stakeholders through a wide range of channels.
- Build and maintain strong working-relationships with regional and national media outlets.
- Drive content strategy, message development, and spokesperson preparation.
- Draft policy positions, talking points, handouts, speeches, press releases, and opinion editorials.
- Oversee advocacy-focused social media channels and websites.
A successful candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree in a related field and will have 7-10 years’ relevant experience. Previous experience working for a trade association or on Capitol Hill is a plus. The person in this position must be comfortable working in a team-focused environment and must be a motivated self-starter with great attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate:
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Extensive experience securing earned media coverage and in-depth knowledge of the media landscape.
- Strong understanding of the public policy making process.
- Ability to work and collaborate as part of a team.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously.
- A proven track record of managing fast-moving public policy issues in addition to developing and implementing messaging strategies to advance advocacy objectives.