Diamond Tools & Equipment For Construction (DTEC)
Groups by type
Groups by sector
The Masonry & Saw Manufacturers Institute, also known as "SMI," modified its name in 2015 to better reflect the manufacturer members. AEM members that produce walk behind, portable, mounted, and hand-held powered equipment, and also makers of cutting & abrasive tooling ("disposables") used with the equipment. Retaining the well-known SMI mark, this AEM Product Group is the "Diamond Tools & Equipment for Construction - SMI".
The group's mission is to:
- Gather and disseminate industry information regarding product safe use, standards and safety codes
- Research and prepare technical information on methods of sawing and abrading material, and bring the industry together to create & adopt use and technical guidance for indistry benefit
- Monitor and influence regulation and public policy
- Consider industry needs especially concerning safety and best practices
- Support standards work where and when possible
- Provide information concerning equipment care for maximum safety and utility
SMI Industry safety - Best practices
Suitable to assist with jobsite safety training, toolbox talkes, and new worker orientation, this pdf file is offered for download.
SMI Best Practice Guidelines for Buried (and imbedded) Hazards: download here at no charge.
The SMI - Diamond Tools & Equipment for Construction group serves the needs of AEM member manufacturers of hand-held saws, core drills and wire saws, major component manufacturers, and diamond & abrasive cutting tools for masonry and concrete construction activity. It presents an industry voice, actions, and consensus opinions on safety, challenges, and industry issues.
SMI members normally meet once or twice each year to address common diamond and abrasive cutting industry issues, to positively impact machine safety and provide input on relevant national and international standards.
Analysis and compliance with OSHA's extensive pending update (Aug 2015) to Respirable Crystalline Silica Regulations is of current interest.
Market Statistics Program
SMI members can participate in a confidential, non-disclosure market statistics program, reporting aggregated North American shipment data for five product categories on a monthly basis, based upon participating firm shipment data reported to AEM's 3rd party data vendor.
AEM Staff Contact
Senior Director, Construction, CE Sector