AEM Board of Directors
Groups by type
Groups by sector
- Mission: Determine the strategic direction of the Association, including services, activities and programs.
- Finance/Budget: Determine the financial objectives, including AEM exhibitions and reserves. Approve the AEM budget based on recommendations from the Sector Boards and Finance Committee. Monitor and direct the AEM budget and investments.
- Trade Show Budgets: Set guidelines for budget objectives. Approve recommendations from Sector Boards.
- Membership: Enhance the level of membership engagement and value of services to members. Determine the scope and eligible member products allowed in Association membership.
- Services (in General): Determine the scope and strategic objectives for services and other activities. Manage the direction and issues, leaving the tactics to planning committees and staff. Review and approve recommendations from the Sector Boards and Board-level Committees.
- Services – Global Public Policy: Set the strategic direction and objectives for AEM advocacy/public policy. Approve the overall GPAC plan to achieve AEM strategic objectives.
- Services – Safety and Product Leadership: Determine the scope and strategic objectives for safety and product leadership services.
- Services – Market Information/Intelligence: Determine the scope and strategic objectives for market information and intelligence, including statistical programs.
- Services – Exhibitions: Determine the scope and strategic objectives for exhibitions.
- Annual Conference: Oversee the objectives, format, locations and budget with staff.
- Education: Develop, implement and direct education objectives, programs and results.
- Personnel & Administration: Review personnel and administrative issues, including the activities of the Compensation Committee.
- Leadership: Elect the Association Officers. Fill vacancies on the AEM Board and Officer positions based on recommendations of the Nominating Committee.
- Bylaws: Interpret, implement and recommend changes to the membership for the Association bylaws.
- Advocacy: Support for and active engagement in AEM’s grassroots, state, and federal advocacy efforts is an important part of the roles and responsibilities of Directors serving on the AEM And Sector Boards. Directors are also strongly encouraged to make a voluntary contribution between $500 and $1,000 to AEMPAC on an annual basis and support fundraising efforts through in-kind donations and participation in ongoing fundraising activities.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Support AEM’s efforts to increase diversity, equity and inclusion across the organization.
- Build positive public perception of our industries
- Accelerate industry growth
- Support & empower member company decision-making
- Facilitate members’ customer-facing efforts
- The AEM Board of Directors is led by the AEM Chair.
- The Chair position is elected by the AEM Board of Directors annually in November and serves a one-year term.
- A Vice Chair is elected by the AEM Board of Directors annually in November and serves a one-year term. The Vice Chair serves as the acting AEM Chair in the Chair’s absence.
- The AEM Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, CE Chair and Ag Chair are the elected volunteer Officers of the Association.
- The AEM President serves as the Association Secretary, which is an Officer position.
- The Board serves as the top decision-making group for the Association.
- The AEM Board consists of 20 Directors.
- The AEM Board will represent a cross-section of the AEM membership.
- The AEM Board composition should contribute to the Association’s stated objective to improve diversity of our volunteer leadership.
- Representatives from all member categories are eligible to serve on the Board of Directors, provided the total number of representatives from the Component and Service Member categories on the Board shall not exceed four.
- Five of the “Top 10” full member dues payers for the prior calendar year should be represented on the AEM Board.
- Only full-time employees of members can serve on the AEM Board of Directors.
- Only one Director is allowed from each “dues payer.”
- AEM seeks top or high-level executives from member companies to serve, with an emphasis to recognize the need to improve the Board’s diversity (race, ethnicity, gender, age and background).
- The AEM Board profile should reflect the overall composition of the Whole Good, Portable Equipment, Component and Service member companies eligible to serve as Directors, per the AEM bylaws.
- The AEM Board meets in person three times annually in April, July and November.
- The AEM Board meets virtually for a “Year in Review” in February.
- It may also meet virtually as needed in preparation for the in-person meetings or to address a specific issue.